Tuesday 12 January 2010

Dell Studio 1535, FGLRX and RandR 1.2

I've had a little time to play around with the new RandR 1.2 support in ATI/AMD fglrx graphics drivers and I'm liking what I see. Make the laptop run with dual external monitors or the in-built panel is now really easy. It's a massive improvement over the ati-config approach I was using before.

Here are the commands I used to make the my Dell Studio 1535 run with dual external monitors:

xrandr --output LCD --off
xrandr --output CRT1 --right-of DFP_EXTTMDS --auto --output DFP_EXTTMDS --auto


These commands will now make it run with the laptop panel:

xrandr --output CRT1 --off
xrandr --output LCD --auto --output CRT1 --off --output DFP_EXTTMDS --off

Now I just need a nice way of attaching these commands to the screen setup button on the laptop :-)

1 comment:

Alex said...

Hi JP!

First of all I'm sorry for posting this on your blog, but I really need help on my Dell Studio 1535 and I guessed maybe you could help me on the following issue:
I have the above laptop with an ATI Mobility Radeon HD3450 built in graphics card and I'm using 64bit Xubuntu 11.10 (3.0.0-14-generic). The problem is that, as soon as I install the fglrx (version 2:8.881-0ubuntu4.1) driver from synaptic or even the ATI/AMD propietary FGLRX graphics driver from 'Additional Drivers', after every restart the backlight of the LCD will be turned up aut. to 100%. Without installing the driver, the backlight settings are o.k. and remain to be as setted before, but I really need to have this driver, to have the right 3D acceleration on my laptop.
Furthermore I have xrandr 1.3.5 installed, but the settings of it seems to be o.k.
In case of installing the newest driver (ati-driver-installer-11-12-x86.x86_64, downloaded from the website of AMD) with even superuser or root permission, the system comes up with a maximum possible resolution of 1152x864 (instead of 1440x900) and this time the 'aticonfig --initial' command gives the output: 'aticonfig: error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory', although the 'libgl1-mesa-glx' pkg is installed properly.
Installing 'xserver-xorg-video-radeon (1:6.14.99~git20110811.g93fc084-0ubuntu1)' also does not help.

Even the ubuntu forum could not help me on this issue until now, so that's why I decided to ask you as I have the same laptop you also (still may) have.

I really appreciate your advice and help in advance!

Alex