Sunday 28 September 2008

Linux on a dell studio 15 laptop

So one of the reasons to start blogging was that I bough a new Laptop. It's a Dell Studio 15, which I bough to run linux. I though it would be a good idea to share my experience of getting things up and running on it. I know it will be problematic, so it will give people a chance to share their ideas and suggestions.

So what am I trying to achive? Well I'm going to be running OpenSUSE and KDE on it as these are the distro and desktop I perfer, but other than that heres some of the things I want to get working:

  • Remote control.
  • 2 external monitors (1 VGA and the other HDMI) with different resolutions.
  • Been able too swap between the connected monitors via a key on the keyboard.
  • Sound working.
  • Both head phone jacks working.
  • Wireless working.
  • Laptop keys able to be used.
  • Webcam and mic need to work with messengers (skype, kopete)

  • I'm sure there will be other stuff I need too, but that should take a while anyhow....

    2 comments:

    DBooth said...

    I'm considering buying a Dell Studio 15 also. Any luck getting Linux installed on yours? Have you written about your experience yet, and what problems you had?

    Anonymous said...

    Please post your Linux compatibility reviews for this product at http://ubuntuhcl.org/browse/product+dell-studio-15?id=7263